Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Skype Review

Skype is a VOIP that allows its users to utilize video and voice calls, instant message and share files with other Skype users for free.  If a users pays for the service they can make calls to mobile and landline phones and send text messages.  This method of communicating is a very low cost effective method of staying in touch.

While I was deployed to Iraq for all of 2009, I was able to utilize Skype to stay in touch with my wife and daughter.  I was able to read stories to my daughter and although we were on different sides of the planet we could still stay connected.  When most people are deployed they can only speak with their loved ones a few times if at all; I was able to speak with my family weekly thanks to Skype.  All I needed to utilize the program was an internet connections and a computer with microphone and speakers.

     For a few months I also used Skype to communicate with friends while playing an online game.  Skype allowed for conference calling so that multiple people could be connected at one time.

     Many VOIP programs can be costly, but Skype is very cost effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment