Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Instant Messaging

At first thought I associate Instant Messaging (IM) with today's text messaging; however, they are not the same.  While both forms of communication provide the user with the ability to directly communicate with their contacts, they have significant differences. 

Text messages are sent via mobile device although computers can also send text messages they are primarily designed for mobile phones.  IMs are primarily sent via computers; however, with the quick development of apps, some IM services are also available on mobile device.  One example of a recent IM service that has been the subject of some controversy in the news is Facebook's messenger mobile service.

That said, text messages can be sent to a user regardless of what platform they are using.  For example my android phone can be used to send a message to other android users or apple users.  Text messaging services will allow for a message to be sent to multiple users at one time similar to a conference call regardless of what platform they are utilizing.  On the other hand IM service providers are limited to sending communication only to users that have the same platform.  Facebook messenger does not send a message to AOL IM user.

With a security mindset however, IM in more secure since they require a login with a user name and password.  On the other hand, text messaging with the phone is only as secure as the phone usage.  Therefore, IMing is typically more secure.

I am more of a user of text messaging than I am on IMing.  I do not have a favorite IM service since I do not use them.  I tried FaceBooks messenger service for a week until I realized all of the PII issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment