Tuesday, November 18, 2014

LinkedIn Review

     LinkedIn is a professional social networking site developed to assist professions find relevant connections. As I am nearing my transition from active duty, LinkedIn has proven to be a very effective networking tool for me.  About a year ago I created an account and I have been learning about its usefulness ever since.  First and foremost I created what is ultimately my resume.  From there I began to connect to people I know and joining groups that I am interested in.  I learn about topics I am interested in from others who post information on those subjects like Lean Six Sigma or the Delta Mu Delta Honor Society.  Most importantly, last week I traveled to Huntsville, AL and met with members of the Semper Fi Community Task Force who were able to assist me with networking in the area.  If it were not for this groups LinkedIn page, I would not have had the success that I did have.

     LinkedIn allows me to connect to others that may be able to assist me with my upcoming job search, but it also allows me to assist others.  With LinkedIn I have been able to link others together and impart information on topics of interests to me.  One day, I hope to utilize LinkedIn to help others with their transition as LinkedIn has been helping me.

     The most effective method that I have found in utilizing LinkedIn in my job search is to find a job with a company that I am interested in.  Then look in LinkedIn at my connections searching for friends that work for that particular company.  Once I find a connections, I can contact that individual to find out what they may know about the position and see if they may earn referral benefits if I use their name in my application.  If they do received referral benefits then perhaps they will be more apt to recommend me to the hiring manager.  Even if they do not receive referral benefits they may be willing to recommend me.  In the end I have been told countless times that find a job is about 90% of who you know and 10% of what you know.  LinkedIn helps you with that 90%.

No comments:

Post a Comment