Tuesday, October 21, 2014

VLC Review

I was first introduced to VLC media player in 2009 while serving in Iraq.  While I would not go so far as to say this program saved my life, it did help to make my life much more enjoyable while forward deployed. 

VLC is a simple, easy to use player with control buttons easily recognizable at the bottom of the player.  The program can play most all file types.  I hesitate to say it plays all files types due to my lack of knowledge on all the different types there may actually be.  The VLC website boasts that the program "Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams" (Videolan.org).  The player has a toolbar that is customizable so that the user can decide what tools need to be displayed.  One example is the equalizer for the video's audio.

VLC can be used to make some editing to video and audio as well.  To add just a little more pizazz to the program, VLC can be dressed up with additional skin downloads.

I paid quiet a bit of money for PowerDVD last year because I thought it would be more of what I needed at that time.  Plus I had a little extra cash to throw away :).  I like PowerDVD and it does a lot of stuff.  PowerDVD is well worth the money I spent for it, but really VLC does everything I need and it is free. 

Compared to costly programs like PowerDVD, VLC is a great program and I would give it two thumbs up.  You can check out VLC by downloading the software from their website: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/


Reference:
Videolan.org. (2014). VideoLAN features.  Retrived from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

No comments:

Post a Comment