For this part of our assignment we were tasked with creating an account at del.icio.us and add our favorite sites/bookmarks for web 2.0 info.
Honestly, it took me a while to get started on this. When I first put the word del.icio.us in the web browser I was taken to www.delicious.com. huh? that is not the web address I keyed into the browser. So, I tried again only to be taken to the same link. To further complicate things, in the center of the page so as to draw the attention of the user are the words "Never lose a link again." My immediate thought was that del.icio.us was a broken link and I was being taken to some page saying the page I was looking for was lost or unavailable. Really, I was quite confused. The link for the video in my class assignment explaining what del.icio.us was, was broken and so initially I was very lost.
So I opened up my trusty friend bling to search for the video titled Social Bookmarking with Del.ico.us. Suddenly my eyes were opened and I began to understand; delicious.com is del.icio.us. Why the deception, I have no idea, but none the less I was finally able to move forward to creating an account. The account creation process began quickly to put me into defensive mode. I do not like creating accounts by linking them to my facebook or Google accounts, yet here they make that option prominent. Luckily, in a bit smaller font they allow the option to create an account with your email address. Again, they want more personal information. Once the account is created the user can download the necessary software. At this point I think I am done with this assignment. I do not like to download all of this new software and I certainly do not like to clutter up my tool bar.
From what I gathered in watching the video, del.icio.us is a way to manage website that the user enjoys and using a tagging search engine method find other similar website to review. This may be useful and further down the road if I feel as though my favorite website management system is no longer working for me and Bing/Google search engines just do not see to be getting me where I want to be, then maybe I'll look to del.icio.us.
Some advantage of this site may be quicker access to similar information making research faster. Another advantage is the ability to manage/sort favorite websites. On the other hand I can already do that to a smaller degree with the favorites management folders with internet explorer. A disadvantage is that some tagged sites may take the user down a rabbit hole that they are not intending to follow. Furthermore, the management system for all of those favorite sites can quickly become cumbersome and overbearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment